Friday, January 7, 2011

Aluminum Brazing

I guess you'd call it brazing anyway. I got these Alumniweld rods from Harbor Freight the other day and decided to try them out last night. Alumniweld is a brand but I think there are a few different brands all selling the same so who knows who the original maker is. If you look at Alumniweld's website you'd probably never buy a rod from them because it looks and feels like an elementary kids did it but they worked fine as you'll see below. This looks like the same product with a little better site: http://durafix.com/ and some videos if you wanted a little more info. on it.


I started with some aluminum angle I had that had a notch cut out of it.  I cleaned it with a stainless steel wire wheel before starting.




This is after I was done filling with aluminum.




This is after I ground it down smooth with a angle grinder.



I was very impressed at how well it held up and filled.  Honestly, I was expecting the filled area to go flying out when i touched my grinder to it but it was solid and ground down just like the aluminum would have.  There was a little bit of a learning curve to get the part heated just right to get the rod to melt but it took me about 10 minutes tops to get the hang of it.  I have no clue on the structural strength of this stuff but I'd feel comfortable using it on anything cosmetic.  I have a chunk missing on part of my motorcycle motor casing that I'm going to try this procedure on to fix, as long as I can get to the area easily.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. Nice blog. You have shared useful information. Keep up the good work! This blog is really interesting and gives good details. copper wire manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete